It started over two years ago, when I began making gentle suggestions about "maybe getting a few chickens..."
Knowing it would take some time to warm my husband up to the notion, I started early. After a carefully orchestrated campaign - not too many suggestions, no hard pushing, just taking the opportunity to present the idea when the timing seemed right - a fortuitous conjunction (my favourite phrase for the week - I'll try to use it again) of events led to us gaining custody of our first chickens.
The relocation of a former workmate of Colin's to a house where there was going to be no room for hens coincided nicely with Simon Morton's "Funky Chicken Farm" programme on National Radio. We agreed to give a home to four hand-me-down chickens, pre-owned by Sarah, and after faithfully promising Colin that I would do all the work, we took possession.
A large number of husband-hours of labour later ("she'll do all the work", he muttered under his breath), the unused children's playhut at the bottom of the garden had been converted to a chicken house, and a run with a six-foot high fence added.
Hello Alison, Alex, Sarah and Enzin.
Monday, November 9, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment